Kandi is an old municipality established in 1869 consisting of 12 municipal wards. Now it is a sub-divisional town. After necessary delimitation preesently it consists of 17 municipal wards covering 12.97 sq. km.
The town of Kandi is about 30 kms at south westerly direction from Berhampore and it lies 23°58’ North Latitude and 88°47’ East Longitude. Geographically the municipality is situated adjacent to Rahr area of alluvial soil with tropical climate which is favourable for agriculture and other economic activities.
Kandi is a densely populated area and the population stands at 58,000 presently. Among them 42.80% are females and 51.20% are males. The average literacy of this township is around 74.00% (which is higher than the average country literacy rate). Population Growth From the chart it is easily understood that the population pressure in this town is increasing day by day. As it is the sub-division town of the district, so the job opportunity in terms of education, business, and from the other sources is Continue reading →
Kandi is the gateway of Historic Hazarduari Palace (which was capital of Bengal, Bihar & Orisa) of Murshidabad, Shantiniketan and famous Ma Tara Mandir at Tarapith of Birbhum District etc. The temple of ‘God Radha Ballabha’, Rudradev Mandir, ‘Goddess Dakshina Kali’ and ‘Panchamukhi Shib Mandir’ are also situated near the existing Bus terminus
Kandi is an old municipal town in West Bengal in the district of Murshidabad. The name Kandi comes from a legend which says that Raja Man Sinha,a general of Emperor Akbar was returning from Bengal, while he found a woman weeping beneath a tree in the midst of a forest. He stopped and talked to the woman. From that day the place is known as ‘Kandi’ meaning ‘weeping’. It has a glorious historical background in its educational, cultural and agricultural domain. The Municipality has a Continue reading →